Re: IDE

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 14:35:51 +0100

Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/31/2015 07:40 AM, Oleh Krehel wrote:
>> Eric, could I possibly get write access there? I promise not commit
>> anything too strange without asking first.

> If you email me your SF id, I can add you when SF next allows me to.

I actually don't have a Source Forge account. Does Source Forge allow to
simply upload id_rsa.pub to allow access, like Github or Savannah?

> I think you might be better off checking directly into Emacs however.
> We need to do a final merge from the CEDET repository into Emacs
> proper, after which we will probably abandon the separate repository.
> Keeping them in sync has been a problem, so we will probably come up
> with an alternate branching strategy.

This is also fine with me. Only depends on how long until the final
merge is done.

> For function-args proper, lets consider how to bring it into the CEDET
> space.  For example, there is this line in the commentary:
>
> ;; * `moo-complete' -- a c++-specific version of
> `semantic-ia-complete-symbol'. Perhaps we can figure out how to either
> merge the two, or add the right way to extend -ia-complete-jump in
> that way for any language.

It's very C++ specific (namespaces, smart pointers, templates etc) to
generalize. I think a dispatch can be made on `major-mode' that forwards
`semantic-ia-complete-symbol' to `moo-complete' for c++-mode (and maybe
c-mode).

It may be possible to simplify `moo-complete' a lot depending on how
much better we can make the parser in terms of understanding C++.  A lot
of the code in `moo-complete' are "dumb" heuristics to come up with at
least something when `semantic-ia-complete-symbol' fails.

However, e.g. semantic-directory.el could be generalized to any
language. It may overlap a bit with the built-in CEDET functionality,
but I just couldn't find a good function that returns a joined list of
tags for a list of files, with all tags up-to-date, even if one of the
files was modified very recently.

Also the function arguments overlays could be generalized, making a good
alternative to Eldoc for all languages supported by semantic.