Re: On the popularity of git

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: On the popularity of git
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:14:20 +0000

Hello, Juanma.

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 02:58:32PM +0100, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> > It's related to your response. I wouldn't take a maintainer position
> where everyone feels free to second-guess me on trivial decisions.

> On one hand, I don't think John's already been appointed as head
> maintainer. Or did I miss some announcement?

I don't think there's been an announcement.  We seem to be in a tacit
trial period, seeing how things work out in practice by experiment.  I
think most of us would prefer the experiment to end with John's position
as maintainer confirmed.

> On the other hand, someone who wouldn't take the position because some mild
> disagreement over trivial issues on emacs-devel, well... let's say they
> wouldn't seem to be well suited to the job. This is not, and never has
> been, a quiet, happy place. Characters flare. Opinions are thrown around
> with force. Egos are sometimes bruised.

This discussion on git is one of these marginal topics, which sort of
does, sort of doesn't belong in emacs-devel.  When such marginal threads
go on too long, people get irritated.  As one of the people to blame for
starting it, I think it is a reasonable request from our
(trial-)maintainer to stop it, though to allow the thread to carry on
would also be reasonable.

Personally, I think it would be a good thing for this thread to end,
now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).