Re: "concurrency" branch updated

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: "concurrency" branch updated
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 16:35:48 +0100

Filipp Gunbin <address@hidden> writes:

>> At some point, we’ll want to demonstrate practical utility; not a
>> trivial demo program that displays a few messages, and nothing on the
>> scale of rewriting all of Gnus to be multithreaded, but somewhere in
>> between.
>
> Tramp operations or Gnus news retrieval in parallel thread would be
> highly appreciated ;-)

For Tramp, this has been discussed already in the past (and I did also
some experiments). Outcome in short: We would need new asynchronous
primitive file operations (or add an asynchronous flag to the existing
operations). Otherwise, it would break too many packages, which expect a
defined result of a file operation, when the function returns.

I would be happy to add asynchronous support to Tramp. After the design
has been fixed. `copy-file' might be a good candidate for a first shot.

See (info "(elisp) Magic File Names") for a complete list of primitive
functions supported by Tramp and other file name handlers.

Best regards, Michael.