Re: merging the xwidget_mvp branch

From: joakim
Subject: Re: merging the xwidget_mvp branch
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 22:37:15 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> For those who don't know, the xwidget_mvp branch is allows embedding of an
>> webkit widget in an emacs window. (There is also an xwidget branch that has
>> more features but it is not ready for inclusion).
>
> From among the developers here: How much desire is there for adding this
> feature? What are the problems it solves, other than being cool?
>
> How large a patch is this? Is there anyone committed to maintaining it after
> inclusion?

The patch is large I suppose. It mostly affects the redisplay system.

I have maintained it in its own branch for a couple of years. I can
continue doing that in master, or in its own branch indefinitely.

The feature is useful in roughly the same way that image support in
Emacs is useful. I find it useful during web-development and the like.

You can use it for browsing random sites, but thats not the primary
use-case.

--
Joakim Verona