Future emacs mailing lists. [Was: On the popularity of git]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 11:12:04 +0000

Hello, John.

Congratulations on your appointment as Emacs maintainer, and thanks for
taking it up.

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 03:15:17PM -0500, John Wiegley wrote:
[ .... ]

> In the future, I think it has come time to establish a Code of Conduct, along
> with a transition to a passively moderated list: one where all posts are
> allowed by default, but those who disregard the CoC will lose their right to
> post until the end of a waiting period.

> I appreciate that some do not see this as a problem or disagree with my
> assessment (Hi, Juanma, thanks for your support btw :). But needless to say, I
> know of several people (personally, in meat-space) who do not participate here
> because of these problems, and I'm willing to make some changes to bring these
> people back into the fold.

> For the purposes of Emacs development (aka, emacs-devel), I would much rather
> have a semi-professional atmosphere focused on improving Emacs, than an
> easy-going social atmosphere focused on eloquent debates. That belongs on
> another list -- and in fact, creation of just such a list is in process and
> will be announced by Richard or myself shortly.

For that other list, the more social one, to flourish, there will need
to be a convention of switching threads from emacs-devel to
emacs-social/emacs-off-topic/emacs-whatever.  Most (?all) of the long
rambling threads that plague emacs-devel start from legitimate on-topic
discussion.  It may become part of your role as project head to call for
a switch to the other (new) group, but hopefully most people will sense
the right time themselves.

As mechanism for the switching, the Mail-followup-to: header (or
whatever it's called) should do the trick, I think.

address@hidden it is, then.

> Toward a better future, and much happy hacking!

And to yourself too, sir!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).