Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 02:24:19 +0200

>> I've created a page at http://www.emacswiki.org specifically for gathering
>> such proposals, so we can review and revise them:
>>
>>     http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Proposals
>>
>> If you could add a link on that page to your proposed change, it would help
>> focus our discussion.
>
> Here we go:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal

After learning about [F1 m] it might become too distracting to see
it permanently.  Of course, like ‘inhibit-startup-screen’ we could create
a customization ‘inhibit-isearch-message-help’, but everyone has
to make an effort to disable it, that's not too nice.

A better option is to allow customization of the whole isearch echo area
like ‘mode-line-format’ is used to customize the mode-line.  Then
‘isearch-message-format’ could support either full names of search
options/states,
i.e. have a placeholder in the format string for every option in the message
(e.g. “%'%cI-search%b” for “Case-fold case-sensitive I-search backward”),
thus allowing to customize their order or to remove some of them.  Or
customizing
to use abbreviations (e.g. “I-search/%w/%%_/%'” for “I-search/w/_/'”),
where clicking on one of them will toggle the corresponding search option.