ELPA policy (Was: streams are cool, you could stream virtually anything!

From: John Wiegley
Subject: ELPA policy (Was: streams are cool, you could stream virtually anything!)
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:48:31 -0500

> While on the topic -- should we move things out of core into elpa -- there
> are a lot of elisp packages that are presently bundled -- mostly because
> "there was no elpa around when they were bundled".

I would in fact like to see more packages move from core into ELPA, although
I'm not eager to do so willy nilly. Some packages now in Core are just fun, or
should be there because people are used to them being there, even if today we
wouldn't necessarily add that package to core.

If someone would be willing to go through every core package, and produce a
list of what should stay in core, what should move to ELPA, and why they think
so, that would be a great starting point.

I know from past experience that reading every core file is highly interesting
and educational, and I guarantee whoever volunteers for this will discover
many cool and interesting things. :)

John