Re: ELPA policy

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 05:00:30 +0200

On 11/05/2015 04:41 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

An exception to this rule is when a certain service (say, streams) should
always be available, without requiring further installation of libraries.
Emacs acts as a sort of "standard library" for Emacs Lisp, so the same kinds
of things we'd like to have in such a meta-library, should be in core.

Why not consider ELPA a part of the "standard library", too?

As long as all code that uses streams.el is not in Emacs core, I don't see any harm in requiring the user to install streams from ELPA (which would probably happen automatically, via a declared dependency).

When the core starts using it, sure, we can move it there.

I do think that applications using such libraries should almost always go in
ELPA, except for those that have been grandfathered in, like Emacs Calc. There
are some things you should always be able to reach for, no matter whose
machine you are on, or if the Internet is currently available.

Yes, some pieces of functionality that we consider a part of the standard set (Calc is not that, for me, but apparently it's popular enough). The criteria for applications to include them might be that Emacs has dedicated menu items, or uses the application's commands in some global bindings (that's why xref, for example, can't be moved to ELPA).