Re: ELPA policy

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 09:41:53 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/05/2015 02:51 PM, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
>
>>> Why not consider ELPA a part of the "standard library", too?
>>
>> Because it is not.  I have often had to use Emacs on computers that did
>> not have access to an Internet connection.  To consider something part
>> of the "standard library," I believe you should have access to it when
>> Emacs is installed.
>
> We do intend to bundle some packages from ELPA to be distributed with
> Emacs releases.

In this case, I can consider these part of a standard library.

> Anyway, if you don't have Internet access, you also can't install any
> package that depends on the library in question. Right?

Not so.  Packages can still be installed via sneakernet, and elisp can
be written that wants to take advantage of a "standard library."  I have
no objection to ELPA in general.  I just have an issue with the idea
that all of ELPA (non-bundled) can be considered "standard."

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)