Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: pl.el
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:19:40 -0500

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 21:14:27 -0500 John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

JW> pl.el (standing for "parser library") is a combinator parsing library for
JW> Emacs, similar to Haskell's Parsec. You can see how it works at the
following
JW> README:

JW>     https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-pl
JW> There is room for improving performance, but the API is complete enough to
JW> start using it. Giving the unproven status, though, perhaps it should start
JW> out in ELPA, and move to core after it has solidified and gained some users?

My vote, after thinking about it, is to move it to the core.  That would
turn it into an Emacs facility, rather than an external package.  The
closest analogue is SMIE, which also lives in the core.

PL is a library for building other packages, so I think users don't
really care where it lives.

It's also unlikely existing packages will switch to use it, so new
packages can require it *and* a new Emacs. If a compatibility version is
needed, I would put the compatibility PL with version 24.999 in the GNU
ELPA or elsewhere, so the built-in PL with version 25.x or newer wins.
But I'd rather not maintain two versions.

Ted