Re: "concurrency" branch updated

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: "concurrency" branch updated
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 17:01:46 -0500

> I don't understand what stacking backtraces is.

When a signal occurs while you're already looking at a backtrace.

> Messaging is already on the branch; or rather, locks and condition variables
> are on the branch, and it's simple to build thread-safe pipes and queues and
> whatnot using those.

I definitely need to examine your previous work before saying more. :)

John> What I want most is to make deadlocks and race conditions
John> naturally hard to write -- if not impossible. The rise of
John> Heisenbugs could make our job as maintainers much more
John> difficult. All the worst bugs in my programming career were
John> related to preemptive threading in some way.

> Race-free-ness will not come from this branch. It takes a traditional
> threads-and-locks approach.

This is definitely an area for further discussion; though that shouldn't stop
us from continuing to think about the cooperative approach.

John