Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 23:28:39 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 05:44:53PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > 2) I really don't think it'll be that distracting. On large screens
>   > it'll be over 100 spaces to the right of the search string.

> Do people actually use Emacs with windows so wide?
> My screen is wide, but having more than 80 columns in Emacs would
> be a screw, so I tell Emacs that the screen is 80 columns wide.

My screen is 240 characters wide.  It is great to be able to have two
related buffers in side by side windows.

And for long, tortuous functions, I use Follow Mode in three side by
side windows, these being 79, 79, 80 characters wide.  This allows me to
view 195 consecutive lines of a buffer at once.  This is on a Linux
virtual terminal, on a 1920 x 1080 pixel screen.

Sometimes, I wonder how I ever managed on my old restricted CRT monitor,
which I think went to ~120 characters wide.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).