Re: Proposed new core library: alert.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: alert.el
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 08:59:33 -0500

>> > Advice is only to be used by user code, not in core. It's the "last
>> > line" of customization, but shouldn't be a programming style
>> > for developers.
>> We have still some work to do.
> AFAIR, Stefan didn't support John's views about this, which is why "we
> have still some work to do".

I do support John's view, actually (of course, that's for advice-add,
not for add-function, which I treat as comparable to add-hook).

There are practical issues that made me use advice-add, admittedly:
- There were a few places where we used `fset' or similar to override
  some function definition and I replaced them with advice-add IIRC (tho
  I can't find those right now).  While advice-add should be avoided in
  core, it's still much better than a fully destructive override.
- Noone found the time/effort to replace uniquify.el's advices with
  something else, so those advices stayed, even when uniquify was
  promoted to a pre-loaded and pre-enabled package.

        Stefan