Re: streams are cool, you could stream virtually anything!

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: streams are cool, you could stream virtually anything!
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 18:09:38 +0300

On 06/11/2015 03:47 +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

[...]

> If not: FWIW, personally I prefer `stream-first' and `stream-rest' to
> `stream-car' and `stream-cdr' because these different names underline
> that streams are not conses.  And that's an important aspect to keep in
> mind.  In particular, streams are immutable, but a function named
> `stream-car' would somehow suggest the opposite.

`...-car' and `...-cdr' suggests only the presence of car and cdr (or
head and tail), not the mutability of these, and there could also be
`set-first' and `set-rest', although the latter sounds awkward.

SICP talks about lists and streams, showing they are different
approaches to sequences, and defines similar operations on both of them
- I think having car and cdr for both is a nice analogy.

Filipp