dropping support for old Emacsen (was: master 644d31a 2/2: Replace the u

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: dropping support for old Emacsen (was: master 644d31a 2/2: Replace the usage of an obsolete function in auth-source.el)
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:18:56 -0500

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 11:22:22 +0900 Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> wrote:

KY> On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:03:59 -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Maybe drop Gnus support for Emacs 23.x and old XEmacs too?
>> I think we've had too many of these annoyances over the years.

KY> making Gnus drop old Emacsen is a good idea. Probably dropping Emacs
KY> 23 won't trouble many users. But what is old XEmacs to be? In some
KY> sense, all XEmacsen is old. ;-)

I should note I've brought this up before. Crossposting to the Gnus
mailing list as well. Concretely, the proposal is to support only Emacs
24.x in Gnus. If XEmacs or Emacs 23 support breaks, then users can
submit patches but it won't be a primary focus for the developers.

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:41:16 +0100 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

DK> I am not in a position to prescribe to Gnus developers how they are
DK> maintaining their software.  Maybe Gnus stopping to support XEmacs 21.4
DK> is the kick in the behind that XEmacs needs for preparing a new "stable"
DK> release rather than face the prospect of having to backport or freeze
DK> Gnus.  But I don't know how receptive to kicks that behind might be
DK> right now.  For most active users, XEmacs 21.4 does not appear to be
DK> more than a practical joke.

Agreed.  Emacs 23.1 is from 2009 so it's similarly outdated though not
as humorous.

Ted