Re: Redirecting messages

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Redirecting messages
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:57:29 -0500

> I don't think users will want to turn every single message into a desktop
> notification. The `message' function has always been a very non-intrusive
> approach, so it's used in very spammy ways sometimes.

I agree, Artur. alerts are meant to be "things you should be aware of", while
`messages' are often used for informational data you don't need to know about
until you read the activity trace in *Messages*.

That said, if we define message = alert, we could make the default severity be
`trivial', so that alert = message. Only severities above, say, normal, would
cause desktop notifications to begin by default.

Another thing we could do is automatically tag all messages based on the
feature they originated from. That way, users could choose to escalate
messages based on REGEXP+FEATURE, allowing packages that do not provide
severity information to be retroactively treated as if they had.

John