Re: Proposed new core library: alert.el

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: alert.el
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:22:18 -0800

In general, here is what I've learnt over the years using Advice --

It's a low-friction means of  investigating various "locii of change"
in complex code-bases --- it's friction-free (almost) in that if you
beleive  that some complex piece of code could do with some change,
you dont have to have long discussions with the owners of that code --
nor do you spend a lot of cycles investing in complex changes -- only
to discover you were wrong. Actually, if you make comple complex
changes,  most of the time (approx 50%) you end up in a position where
you find you were only "half right" ie (also "half wrong") --- and
given that by then you've made the changes, it becomes difficult --
both technically and emotionally to revert the changes and go back to
the start state.

Advice works around these social and technical problems by letting you
try  multiple alternatives, figuring out the "right answer" and
finally making the more complex change.