Re: force initialization of a datatype?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: force initialization of a datatype?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 01:05:46 -0600

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/06/2015 01:56 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> However, `xref-find-definitions' doesn't find `make-path-iterator', and
>> there's no place to put a doc string for `make-path-iterator'.
>
> We might have to do with only documenting the related structures (and
> mentioning constructors there).
>
>> I'll see if I can fix `xref-find-definitions'.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Speaking of elisp--xref-find-definitions, you've made some additions
> to it recently.
>
> Could you remove the FIXME comment before it? It's kinda wrong.

I've had that in my local stash for a while, waiting for a significant
change to push in that file.

> Second, are you sure that elisp-xref-find-def-functions shouldn't be
> somewhere in find-func.el?

I don't follow.

`elisp-xref-find-def-functions' is a hook that is called from
`elisp--xref-find-definitions'; why should it be in find-func?

The only file that currently puts a function on that hook is
cedet/mode-local.el; it adds similar functionality to
`help-fns-describe-function-functions' and `find-function-regexp-alist'.

> And same for the new code elisp--xref-find-definitions that supports
> structs and generics.

That code has a FIXME about moving it to
`elisp-xref-find-def-functions'; there is already code in cl-generic
that puts similar functionality on
`help-fns-describe-function-functions' and `find-function-regexp-alist'.

> I don't think we should deprecate find-func just yet, and it would
> make sense for M-x find-function to support defstruct functions and
> generics.

It does; I just tried it on some of the ones defined in
elisp-mode-tests.el.

--
-- Stephe