Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 09:32:36 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> Since Emacs 25 is not yet released, the transfer of maintainership comes at a
> slightly awkward time. I haven't fully caught my breath yet, but don't want to
> impede Stefan's legacy from getting out the door.
>
> Let us officially freeze in one weeks, next Friday, Nov 13 at 11:59 PM
> UTC, so that any ready, last minute features can get in before 25.1 is
> closed.

That sounds like a free-for-all.  With the development cycles of Emacs,
rushing in last-minute features might come at costs of half a year.

I'd rather suggest putting down a "soft freeze" right now where anything
significantly featuresome requires list/maintainer approval.  In
essence, this is vaguely the state Stefan handed over: I considered this
somewhat fuzzily the prevailing mood to be picked up from discussions on
the list.

--
David Kastrup