Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25 (was: Dynamic loading progress)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25 (was: Dynamic loading progress)
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 10:33:46 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 20:53:19 -0500
>
> Let us officially freeze in one weeks, next Friday, Nov 13 at 11:59 PM UTC, so
> that any ready, last minute features can get in before 25.1 is closed. Then
> we'll take a pause and review whether anything should be allowed after the
> freeze. Once we're comfortable with the bug situation, we release.

I think we should first decide whether new features that are "almost
ready" should or should not be in 25.1.  Two examples that immediately
come to mind are dynamic loading and xwidgets; I don't know if there
are others.  After we make the decision, we could see if one week's
time is enough.

> I'd like to take a somewhat generous period for bug fixes, with feature work
> happening in the meanwhile on topic branches. All severe bugs should either be
> closed, or consciously deferred, before letting 25 out the door.

We used to cut a release branch fairly early in the pretest ,
certainly at least when the first pretest tarball is put on
alpha.gnu.org.  Does the above mean you want the pretest to be worked
on on master instead?