Re: emacs hebrew script bidi nikud rendering bugs

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: emacs hebrew script bidi nikud rendering bugs
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 09:41:46 +0000

>>> "Mark" == Mark David <address@hidden> writes:

    > I want to report and maybe fix bugs in rendering Hebrew script,
    > particularly with diacritics (nikud). It only partially works in
    > environments I'm using (Ubunutu, Emacs 25.x). (Hebrew without
    > diacritics, used for everyday Hebrew language writing, is evidently
    > functioning well.) Is there a mailing list best suited for that? Is
    > there a separate development team for that kind of thing? Where would
    > I report, say, inability to correctly render a sequence of Hebrew base
    > character and diacritic like this

    > Unicode Character 'HEBREW LETTER ALEF' (U+05D0)

    > Unicode Character 'HEBREW POINT QAMATS' (U+05B8)

I am not sure what you mean by rendered correctly.

Let A=aleph
    ^=QAMATS

Then for example OpenOffice displays this correctly as

   ^
while Emacs 25 (and 24.5) displays it as

  ^

That is what you mean? (Not sure whether to write hebrew+niqqud on the
list)

Remark: using xelatex the hebrew text with niqquds get compiled and the
pdf displays the niqqud correctly.

Uwe Brauer