Re: Location of tests (again) (was Re: Makefile-help)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Location of tests (again) (was Re: Makefile-help)
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 11:22:04 +0000

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Phillip Lord <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Some one suggested to
>> but tests of C core ~test/automated/src~ which sounded good. But
>> thinking about it, it probably makes more sense to leave this for C
>> level testing framework. So now we have
>>
>> test/automated/lisp
>> test/automated/lisp/emacs-lisp
>> test/automated/lisp/progmodes (and so on....)
>> test/automated/lisp/c (lisp tests for the C core)
>
> This breaks the symmetry between our source layout and the test layout.

It does, and I think this is unfortunate.

> And, of course, if we some day add a C testing framework there's no reason
> why lisp tests and C tests cannot share test/automated/c.
>
> In fact, it seems to me like a nice property that if we have both C and
> elisp tests for, say, keymap.c, then keymap-tests.c and keymap-tests.el are
> in close proximity.

I thought about that. Obviously it makes the Makefile harder (since you
need one that can cope with both the C framework and the Lisp
framework), which is why I though to keep things separate. This seemed
worth breaking the symmetry.

Very open to persuasion.

Phil