Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 09:01:53 -0500

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 15:48:08 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:33:12 -0500
>>
EZ> I don't see any reasons to disagree.  But adding such a feature, IME,
EZ> needs more than just one week before we shake it up enough.
>>
>> I agree, but please recall it's been brewing for a very long time, so
>> it's not something we just started.

EZ> I know.  But if you mean to imply that a week might be enough, then I
EZ> don't think so.  As long as the feature is on a separate branch, it
EZ> doesn't get enough exposure to users, neither wrt possible build-time
EZ> complications, nor wrt run-time problems.  There are just too many
EZ> corner cases which are only visible once the feature is on master.

Yes, and that's exactly why we need it in master.

I think 1 week is the time to feature freeze, but we have lots of time
to fix bugs and issues.  Changing the module ABI/API for instance is
IMHO perfectly OK during the feature freeze.  The feature is "dynamic
modules" not a specific version thereof, until Emacs is released.  Then
it becomes "dynamic modules as defined by 25.1" and we have to live with
them :)

Ted