Re: master 644d31a 2/2: Replace the usage of an obsolete function in aut

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: master 644d31a 2/2: Replace the usage of an obsolete function in auth-source.el
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 14:43:22 +0100

>   > > I don't think we should consider Emacs 23 "old" yet.  I would
>   > > guess that many users still use it.  Indeed, one of the machines
>   > > I use has Emacs 21.4 installed.
>
>   > But it is unlikely that you are going to update it with a current
>   > version of Gnus.
>
> I won't, but some people using a system they don't maintain, with an
> old Emacs installed, might want to run a newer Gnus.

New programming features are developed because they make developers'
life easier and the code base more maintainable, lowering the barrier of
entry for new blood.

So for systems like Gnus, I would prefer to leave the decision of which
compatibility to pursue to the active maintainers of Gnus (or whatever
subsystem we are talking about).  They likely know best how many of
their users and how many of their developers complain about which kind
of thing.

--
David Kastrup