PATCH: Add the ability to give rcirc servers an alias name

From: Dave Barker
Subject: PATCH: Add the ability to give rcirc servers an alias name
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 23:00:11 +0000

Hello all,

First time contributing to Emacs (or at least attempting to), sorry if I'm doing this wrong somehow.

I wanted the ability to give rcirc servers an alias name, to be displayed instead of the actual server name. The reason is that I use the ZNC IRC bouncer to connect to multiple servers and this means, as far as rcirc is concerned, that I have 4+ servers with the same server name - my ZNC server's hostname. This breaks rcirc, it won't let you connect to the same server twice, but even if it did things would quickly get confusing. (Up until now I've had to add bogus entries in my hosts file to point each IRC server's hostname to my ZNC server, but that's clearly quite a hack!)

So the attached patch adds an optional :server-alias keyword parameter to rcirc-server-alist that allows you to specify a friendlier name for a rcirc server. The name is then used when messages are displayed, and for buffer naming purposes. If not specified the real server name is used instead just like before. (For people who are used to GitHub, here's my feature branch.)

It would be great to get some feedback on this, the patch is working great for me but I'm inexperienced with elisp and this is the first time I've had a look at the rcirc code.

Cheers, Dave.