Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 10:23:14 +0100

> I want these bugs to be solved.  What, then, are the alternatives to
> this framework (or something like it)?  Isearch needs information about
> the Follow Mode windows, or it can't work properly.

Disagreed.  But _maybe_ Isearch may have to accept the fact that a
function like ‘set-window-start’ did not behave as expected.  Hopefully,
the substitute did something reasonable instead.

> So far, I've written three solutions for these bugs, as I outlined at
> length in an email to Martin R. today.  The first of these solutions was
> (justifiably) rejected by Stefan because it was a quick and dirty fix,
> and he explicitly requested the new framework that I have now built.
> Eli didn't like the second attempt and explicitly suggested the way for
> my third attempt.  You and Martin dislike this most recent third
> attempt.
>
> It seems to me I've spent more time discussing this bug on the bug list
> and emacs-devel, and reformulating the fix, than actually tracking down
> and fixing the bugs in the first place.  At the moment I feel like I'm
> trying to hack down a wall of constant negativity.  I don't recall
> anybody else saying positively they want this bug fixed, and I certainly
> don't feel I've had much encouragement wrt this bug, in the last few
> days and weeks.

I want this bug fixed and would like to give you all the encouragement
you need.  But you rejected the use of window parameters without telling
me why they are inappropriate in this particular case.

> I see Follow Mode as being a critically important component of Emacs,
> the more so since very wide (240 characters and more) screens displaced
> the fairly narrow CRT monitors.  I would like every Emacs user to be
> able to use FM as easily as I can.  Right at the moment there is no
> suitable interface to FM for libraries that require to do their own
> window manipulation.  Such an interface is what Stefan wanted, and it's
> what I want, too.

I don't want such an interface.  Other libraries should never have to be
aware of Follow Mode.

> As of yet, there's been practically no discussion of
> this interface I've written, beyond Eli suggesting the current version
> and John suggesting a name change for some hooks.
>
> So, where do we go from here?  I would like these bugs fixed for 25.1.

Me too.

martin