Re: [elpa] master 872014e: Prevent accidental deletion of .git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 872014e: Prevent accidental deletion of .git
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 00:03:34 -0500

>> Once we change the handling of :core in elpa/admin/archive-contents.el
>> so that it sets up symlinks rather than performing copies, we should at
>> least be able to make the deletion less dangerous, e.g. by only deleting
>> symlinks and empty directories (so even if the deletion was erroneous,
>> no actual file contents was destroyed along the way).
>> Fabián, any news on this?

> Arthur pointed out in another thread that this code is at least
> partially there already (I haven't heard from Fabián about its status).

Right, Fabian installed its code already, but I found out at that point
that the way it works (i.e copying files from emacs.git) is problematic
in various ways: it should instead setup symlinks.

> The attached patch seems to work

Yes, it kinda works but it suffers from various warts (e.g. "make
externals; make" will always recompile all the :core packages).

> with a locally-generated archive, but it introduces the first external
> to make use of :core.  Should I push it and see what happens?

No, we should change to code to use symlinks instead of
file-copies first (and at the same time change it as I suggested,
i.e. to only delete symlinks and empty directories).

        Stefan