Re: ELPA policy

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 03:25:50 -0600

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'd like to know more about this. How does the user access these bundled
>>> packages; by installing them with M-x package-install?
>
>> I think they should appear, to the user, like any other standard part of
>> Emacs.
>
> If that's the case, it changes my thoughts on what needs to be in core, and
> what should be in ELPA. Until now I was thinking ELPA required Internet
> access; but if there are parts of ELPA that "come in the box", then I'd like
> to see more packages there.

It depends on what git repository the package is in, and how the ELPA
packages are included in core.

My impression is that the latest proposal for doing this is to keep
"core ELPA" packages in the emacs repository (not the Gnu ELPA repository),
and fix the Gnu ELPA server scripts to work with that.

Then all core Emacs developers see the core ELPA packages in their
current workflow, and they are released along with Emacs.

They are also released separately to Gnu ELPA, and they appear in
`list-packages' (as other core packages do now); that's what makes them
"ELPA core packages" as opposed to "core code".

That's an elegant solution.

The alternative is to figure out how to merge a partial checkout of the
Gnu ELPA repository into an Emacs git checkout without confusing git and
make; not at all easy.

--
-- Stephe