Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 19e09cf: Ensure redisplay after evaluation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 19e09cf: Ensure redisplay after evaluation
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 21:17:11 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 11:06:47 -0800
>
> I am unaware of the historical context for this argument.

I can post the URL of the discussion.  It was a very long discussion,
most of it dedicated to Stefan's review of the proposed patch.  That
patch was eventually not admitted, because the author won't sign legal
papers as required by the FSF rules.

> Allowing dynamic behavior to trigger on modifying a variable could be very
> valuable during debugging. GDB allows this in the form of watchpoints.
>
> As long as we never allow the use of this facility to creep into Emacs itself,
> I can see value in giving users another way to debug and/or customize their
> environment, as long as they are fully informed of the potential costs.

I agree, but the problem is that now someone needs to re-implement
that changeset from scratch, without looking too much at the patch
posted back then.  I cannot be that someone, unfortunately.