Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 19e09cf: Ensure redisplay after evaluation

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 19e09cf: Ensure redisplay after evaluation
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:48:17 -0500

  > I fully agree with Richard that it's a facility with which you can shoot
  > yourself in the foot in many different ways,

It's worse that that; what I said is stronger than that.

If you write private code that creates advice, at worst you shoot
yourself in the foot.  But if you insert code to create advice into
the code of Emacs, you shoot anyone else that needs to debug cases
where that advice has an effect.

                                                 but I don't find it to be
  > a reason to disallow it.

There's no need to disallow shooting yourself in the foot, but when I
was Emacs maintainer, I told people not to insert code that would
shoot my foot.

--
Dr Richard Stallman