Re: Multiple Eshell process?

From: Jesuz Networks Inc.
Subject: Re: Multiple Eshell process?
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 22:37:43 +0100

Thanks for your answer, but it seems there is some wrong perception.

While Eshell is running offlineimap, which take some hours to get finished, I could open another Emacs client instance and do something other things (like running Gnus or playing Tetris or do some coding), while Eshell is running on background. So it seems it is possible to have multiple things running, because the other process (like Tetris or Flycheck) are using the same Lisp thread as Eshell?

> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 21:43:06 +0100
> From: "Jesuz Networks Inc. " <address@hidden>
>
> When I'm compiling something in Eshell, of Importing my mail with offlinemap
> tool, then I need to wait long time before a process in Eshell is finished and
> I can use Eshell again.
> As far as it seems, I could only run one Eshell process.
>
> This is somewhat inconvenient. For example, when you run a process in Guake
> terminal, you can spawn another Guake terminal in a new tab and do your thing
> while a process is still running in another tab.
>
> So I'm wondering if this could be possible with Eshell?

Eshell is actually a Lisp program, and Emacs has only one Lisp
thread.  So no, this is not currently possible.  It could be possible
when we integrate the concurrency branch into Emacs, though.  Maybe.