Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 07:59:18 +0800

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 5:55 AM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Let's freeze this Friday, and take a step back. We have several courses open:
>
>  1. Decide that what we have now should become 24.6.

There is no plan for a new Emacs 24 release, unless some critical
security vulnerabilities arise and need urgent fixing.

>  2. Decide it will become 25.1.
>
>  3. Decide that we want to bring in more features that aren't yet complete,
>     and so push the freeze to a future date.
>
>> We used to cut a release branch fairly early in the pretest , certainly at
>> least when the first pretest tarball is put on alpha.gnu.org. Does the above
>> mean you want the pretest to be worked on on master instead?
>
> I'd actually like to know more about our current release flow, before having
> that discussion here. I don't know yet what I want in that respect.

In case you don't know, here is the new versioning scheme for GNU Emacs:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00872.html

Actually, I think we should document our release process more
explicitly.  `admin/FOR-RELEASE' and `admin/notes/versioning' are not
enough.