Re: Suggestion to enable git rerere by default

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: Suggestion to enable git rerere by default
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:01:31 +0100

> I had never heard about it. If it's really as nice as it sounds (no
> drawbacks?), lets add this recommendation.

Here's what I found on the potential drawbacks:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5519244/are-there-any-downsides-to-enabling-git-rerere

IIUC the main problem is rerere might resolve conflicts that textually
look the same but were semantically different

Note that when rerere does its work, it leaves no conflict markers but
the changes are still left uncommitted and you can review them.

> > +The following is helpful if you're going to merge the same set of
> > +changes multiple times :
> This sounds strange to me. Would it be better to say: “if you're going
> to merge master onto the same (long-lived) feature branch multiple
> times”?

I'll trust you. I'm 100% not english native.

Nicolas