Move to a cadence release model?

From: John Yates
Subject: Move to a cadence release model?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:57:07 -0500

With a new master at the helm and various changes being contemplated I would like to see some discussion of moving to a cadence release model.

I have been impressed with open source projects that have made the change.  I am now employed at Mathworks which ships mission critical software to very large enterprise customers on a 6 month cadence.

The biggest shift I see is away from wondering when the correct collection of features, bug fixes, whatever have been accumulated to whether those that have been accumulated are individually sufficiently cooked to ship.  Developers feel less urge to squeeze a not fully baked feature into the current release when they can count on the next opportunity being only a cadence interval in the future.

/john