Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:38:26 -0800

> End users often want/need to add or change a key binding in
> a particular keymap.  Questions of how to do that are FAQ.

> But yes, `global-set-key' is also a command; `define-key' is not.

Yep, enriching global-set-key to take on the role of bind-key will mean
expanding it to handle keymaps, and this would make it the "Right Way" for end
users to modify their keybindings.

Core Emacs code should always use define-key, so that global-set-key bindings
can appear in the personal keybindings list.

>> as I've met countless people who have never even heard of it.

> That means nothing in this regard. There are countless people, including
> countless Emacs users, who have never heard of plenty of end-user features.
> There are probably countless such who have never heard of `M-x' or `C-h f'
> or even `C-h C-h'...

It means something to me, Drew, and I'm the one acting on behalf of those
users.

> But both are "end-user functions" and "user-facing".  (That
> doesn't mean that something better cannot be found for end
> users to use.)

I think that moving define-key to an internal/programmatic mechanism, and
enriching global-set-key toward an external/user mechanism, with all the
features of bind-key, is the solution we both want.

John