Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:47:43 -0800

> Here's a very simple example: here's a way to configure markdown-mode

>    (package-install 'markdown-mode)
>    (with-eval-after-load 'markdown-mode
>      (modify-syntax-entry ?` "\"" markdown-mode-syntax-table))

> How would use-package handle this simple example?

To match those semantics, you'd use:

    (use-package markdown-mode
      :ensure t
      :config (modify-syntax-entry ?` "\"" markdown-mode-syntax-table))

> I don't think you understood. I don't mean bugs in `use-package', I mean bug
> reports in my extensions that are reported in terms of `use-package'. Should
> I not handle those bugs?

Ah. Does it help that you can macro-expand use-package forms, so that you see
what the underlying Emacs Lisp calls? I try hard to make the expanded code
"look like what you'd write", as much as possible.

> I don't understand. It's a "new way", at least for me.

I meant that between customize and Emacs Lisp, there nothing in between for
users of core Emacs right now. Beyond Emacs, there do exist several other
ways.

John