Re: ELPA policy

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 22:19:46 +0200

On 11/10/2015 10:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I think a point we should take from this is that the prerequisites (in
this case, the said rewrite) should be in place _before_ we seriously
consider such moves (pun intended ;-).

The only prerequisite is to have this functionality (which is fairly self-contained) in the core. It would benefit from a rewrite (and moving away from CEDET would encourage that), but as the first step, we can just copy it and do some renaming.

However, like mentioned in the "project.el semantics" thread:

  I'm seriously considering to get away from it and always use Grep,
  because the other tools, while they can be faster, they're also
  entirely opaque to the user, can have outdated databases, non-indexed
  relevant directories, unsupported languages, and so on.

So this feature, which xref is depending on for the default xref-find-references implementation, requires certain amount of hand-holding from the user. And I don't know how to approach documenting it, and otherwise make it apparent to the user.

So someone else should probably start on taking care of that. Otherwise, I'd rather fall back on Grep, until such point that Emacs starts to manage the Global/id-utils/CScope datbases for the user, and learns to make sure that the database is up-to-date.