Re: ELPA policy

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:45:18 +0100

Dmitry Gutov writes:
> On 11/10/2015 08:37 PM, David Engster wrote:
>
>>> I can cut out xref.el's dependency on CEDET easily enough.
>>
>> Which illustrates nicely the downside of moving packages to ELPA.
>
> Nope. It will be beneficial to the code in Emacs, because xref is
> currently depending on a minor feature of CEDET (the
> semantic-symref-tool infrastructure), which could use a rewrite, to be
> available for a more general usage.

As you know, we will drop our upstream repository. During the last
merge, I will also have to discuss with Eric what we can do to narrow
CEDET's scope. I agree with you that semantic-symref is probably one of
the packages that should be replaced with something more general. But as
long as it's there, I'd appreciate if you could leave whatever support
you have coded for it.

I'd also be happy to drop the completion GUI stuff, BTW. I've repeatedly
said that company should be in core for that.

-David