Re: ELPA policy

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:52:38 -0600

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Large packages like CEDET should move outside of Emacs.git and into
>>> Elpa.git.
>
>> Why?
>
> There will never be 100% agreement on whether they should be in ELPA, or be in
> Core, so I'm making the decision that they belong in ELPA.

I'm happy to have someone making decisions, but there needs to be some
rationale given, so we understand the tradeoffs.

I believe the rationale here is:

- CEDET is not used by other core Emacs code (xref.el will be fixed)

- code that is not used by other core Emacs code clutters the workspace,
  producing extra hits in greps, etc.

- CEDET can still be included in the Emacs tarball, so users do
  not have to use list-packages to install it (this requires a to be
  implemented mechanism).

>> From my experience, git submodules are never seamless to work with.
>
> Even still, they work perfectly fine for this purpose.

I would like to see an actual demonstration, please; there are lots of
devils in the details.

Which means:

Please post a clear recipe for setting up an Emacs + ELPA developer
workspace, starting from git clone, so I can try this on my machine.

The test is then that some core Emacs code depend on some ELPA package;
we'd need branches in both to make that happen, since it doesn't now.

--
-- Stephe