Release process (was Re: Move to a cadence release model?)

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Release process (was Re: Move to a cadence release model?)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:17:47 -0600

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> We could avoid the feature freeze altogether, if we wanted, and instead cut
>> the release branch and work on the release there without freezing master.
>
> That would be my preference. Let's cut release-25.1 this upcoming Friday night
> at the freeze date.
>
> It does mean a commitment by developers to use and test with this branch until
> the release is out.

Which is precisely why we have a feature freeze phase; it enforces this
desire.

I know I would be _very_ tempted to ignore the release branch, to keep
working on my latest Cool Feature instead.

If I know I have to wait for a release before I can merge to master
again, I'll work on the release as much as I can.

--
-- Stephe