RE: ELPA policy

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:32:43 -0800 (PST)

> > I think the distinction between "tarball package" and "core package" is
> > helpful here.
> >
> > I'm guessing that the main motivation for including Org and Gnus in
> > Emacs git (well, CVS back then?) was to include them in the release tarball.
> > If we have a mechanism to allow that for ELPA packages, moving them to ELPA
> > makes sense.
>
> I like this. I think we have a good striation:
>   core
>   tarball ELPA
>   net ELPA
> To the user, core and tarball ELPA should be indistinguishable.

I haven't yet received an answer to my question whether anything
will change for users, depending on where you happen to manage
the code wrt ELPA etc.

But it sounds like the answer is yes.  If some stuff that has
traditionally been part of the distribution gets moved to (net)
ELPA, it will no longer be distributed to users.  They will
need to pull it down using the package interface.  Is that right?

If so, I'm not crazy about that.  I don't particularly want to
go fishing in (net) ELPA for stuff that I've always been able to
simply grep from within the distribution `lisp' directory.
Especially, but not only, when I am not on the Internet.

I hope you will continue to (also) distribute Emacs with all
of its (traditional) source code, and not just make users
request it from (net) ELPA.