Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:16:18 -0800

> John, could you please extend the deadline of the feature freeze a little
> since I have no chance to commit all changes until Friday.
>
> Basically what I'm doing is the same kind of work as Alan's efforts in
> bug#17453. While Alan is designing a framework to support multiple windows
> by adding a new arg with a group of windows, I'm designing a framework to
> support multiple regions by adding a new arg with a group of regions.
>
> In bug#19829 I've collected the evidence of commands that need this feature
> as a basis for the new design, but the deadlock was caused by the same
> question that backpedaled the Alan's design: whether to add a new arg to the
> existing functions or to try stuffing it into the existing ones?

Given the discussion Alan and I are having, maybe we should step back the
three of us and make sure that we're taking a consistent approach.

If your work is similar to Alan's in nature, I'd be willing to extend its
deadline beyond the freeze date as well -- if it doesn't come in too late. I'd
rather not extend the freeze overall, since otherwise we might keep doing it.
Too many cool ideas out there. :)

The freeze is motivation to get 25.1 out the door, so 25.2 can come sooner.

John