Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 18:04:19 +0800

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:

> what is the rationale for moving from MELPA to Gnu ELPA?

Some advantage of GNU ELPA (in comparison with MELPA):

* The GNU ELPA archive is the only archive that's configured by default,
  so we can tell people to M-x package-install without worrying about
  whether or not they've added MELPA to their config.

* The code uses the same copyright rules as Emacs code, so that we can
  easily move code between the two.  IOW it'd be ready for inclusion in
  Emacs proper.  (I'm aware of the controversy, but what if we want to
  move it to the core in the future?)

* All Emacs developers have write access to the code, so it can benefit
  from random cleanups or adjustments to new features.