Re: ELPA policy

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:02:47 -0500

  > Another choice would be to say "use MELPA for experimental packages",
  > but it is already too late for that.

If my memory serves, MELPA contains packages we would like to include
in Emacs, but we can't get legal papers for them.
We are seeking people to write replacements for those, though we wish
it were not necessary.

We would like developers of future useful packages to want to put
their packages into the GNU ELPA.

To recommend putting some packages -- whatever they might be -- into
MELPA would work against these goals.  It would have been a bad
approach.

  > Which raises the question; what is the rationale for moving from MELPA
  > to Gnu ELPA?

If a package is useful to recommend, and we CAN get papers for it,
we definitely want to move it to GNU ELPA.

--
Dr Richard Stallman