Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:51:17 -0800

>> 3. I think, when electric-indent-mode is on, open-line should indent the
>> line that was created below if it isn't empty. May I go ahead?

> Had I seen that question at the time, I would have answered "Oh, please
> don't" :-). But maybe mine is a minority opinion? I encounter the new
> behavior several times a day, and don't like it; turning off
> `electric-indent-mode' seems like a drastic solution. But if people
> generally like this new behavior, I'll certainly live with being in the
> minority and figure out the appropritae local customization.

I too would want the original C-o behavior. If you're using it an column 0,
then the action of C-o is to create a new line, not to adjust indentation of
the line you were on before the command.

Now, you *could* have the new behavior using `electric-indent-functions',
checking if the current command is `open-line'. So we're not making it
impossible to do. But we shouldn't change long-standing behavior like this, in
a subtle way that many users wouldn't know how to undo.

John