Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:17:44 -0800

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this behavior doesn't happen when
> electric-indent-mode is off, which it was in previous versions of Emacs.
> Isn't that true?

Correct. We have several things in play here:

  1. When electric-indent-mode is off, everything is fine.

  2. When electric-indent-mode is on, C-o behaves in an unexpected fashion.

  3. We should fix C-o when electric-indent-mode is on, so its behavior is not
     affected by electric-indent-mode.

  4. We should disable electric-indent-mode by default.

Since I wasn't present for the discussion when electric-indent-mode was
enabled by default, I'd like to reopen that discussion with regard to 25.1.
Probably on a separate thread from this one.

John