Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 20:37:43 +0000

Hello, John.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:17:44PM -0800, John Wiegley wrote:

> > Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this behavior doesn't happen when
> > electric-indent-mode is off, which it was in previous versions of Emacs.
> > Isn't that true?

> Correct. We have several things in play here:

>   1. When electric-indent-mode is off, everything is fine.

>   2. When electric-indent-mode is on, C-o behaves in an unexpected fashion.

>   3. We should fix C-o when electric-indent-mode is on, so its behavior is not
>      affected by electric-indent-mode.

Agreed.

>   4. We should disable electric-indent-mode by default.

> Since I wasn't present for the discussion when electric-indent-mode was
> enabled by default, I'd like to reopen that discussion with regard to 25.1.

Just a tip from somebody who was involved in that discussion - you might
come to regret that wish.  Could I suggest you pore over the archives
before reopening this discussion?

My feeling was and is that enabling e-i-m was the right decision, even
though I was unhappy about certain aspects of it.  I'm not sure I want
to enlarge on that.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).