Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:08:43 -0600

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 2:58 PM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

>> 2. When electric-indent-mode is on, C-o behaves in an unexpected fashion.
> Then what is it that electric-indent-mode gives you that prevents you
> personally from turning it off?

I want electric-indent-mode; I don't want C-o at column zero to be affected by
it. I think that by default, it shouldn't be affected by it either. See my
proposed solution in another e-mail.

So electric-indent-mode would still affect open-line, but not when open-line is run with point at column zero.

Hmm.  I think that's a good solution.  I think that's pretty much the entire use case here.  (I'd also be happy with open-line just having *no* electric indent behaviors, but that's a more complex discussion and probably wouldn't affect many use cases anyway.)

Emacs is famous for making the right exceptions to otherwise consistent behaviors (the behavior of C-t at the end of a line is often held up as a classic example of this).  This would be another instance of that, I guess.

I'll happily make the change, but will wait to see if there's some consensus.

-K

John