Re: xref and GNU Global (Re: ELPA policy)

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: xref and GNU Global (Re: ELPA policy)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:19:03 -0600

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/11/2015 05:15 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>
>> What about having support for Global (I haven't followed the development
>> of xref in a while, so I might have missed it).  I'm using ggtags now,
>> but having support for it in xref would be awesome.
>
> It's the other way around: ggtags will need to implement support for xref.

ggtags is a fairly thin elisp package that interfaces to command-line
Gnu Global.

cedet also provides a thin elisp package (cedet-global) that interfaces to
command-line Gnu Global, and is integrated with the rest of cedet.

There's no reason to have both cedet-global and ggtags.

There are many reasons to keep cedet, so it makes sense to provide xref
support for Gnu Global via the cedet package, not the ggtags package.

There may be features that are in ggtags that are not in cedet; I'll
have to check after I get the basics working, and see if it is
reasonable to add them to cedet.

--
-- Stephe