Re: xref and GNU Global (Re: ELPA policy)

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref and GNU Global (Re: ELPA policy)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 01:32:50 +0200

On 11/12/2015 01:19 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:

There's no reason to have both cedet-global and ggtags.

ggtags has some other things as well, like a completion-at-point-functions element, hooks to update the current database automatically, eldoc support, etc.

There are many reasons to keep cedet, so it makes sense to provide xref
support for Gnu Global via the cedet package, not the ggtags package.

We can have either, as far as I'm concerned. But it would be better to have more features from ggtags in the core to replace the things etags.el is commonly used for, eventually.

There may be features that are in ggtags that are not in cedet; I'll
have to check after I get the basics working, and see if it is
reasonable to add them to cedet.

CEDET only uses Global is a fairly narrow way.